The sometimes meaningful but often ridiculous postings and musings on the training and tribulations of a competive cyclist in the Southeastern US.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I shouldn't complain, but...

I honestly live in one of the best places in the US to ride a bike. I have variable terrain that includes rolling stuff right where I live, really flat stuff within a one hour ride (or 20 minute drive) and some of the best big climbs within a 2 hour drive in the form of the Blue Ridge Mountains. To top it all off, the areas I ride in are so often used by cyclists, that motorists are aware and for the most part completely accepting of their presence. Other places I have lived have not been so friendly! Compared to where I have lived also in the past, we have some of the best cycling weather around. With the right clothing and gear, you can comfortably ride year round here with temperatures in the winter dropping into the 30s typically only for a couple weeks or so. But my complaint with the weather this winter has been the uncommon cold and precip that has existed. I can't remember a day where it was above 50 and not raining. All you Nor'Easterners are aghast I could complain about such things...and honestly its nice to complain about such a trivial item when it comes to cycling. I will also probably be complaining about the heat and humidity come August...almost definitely. To answer the question, "Yes", I have been using the eMotion rollers, but typically use those for days when I have no daylight to train in not for weather thing. I like to "harden" my body ala Euro-pro, and recognize this as mostly psychological, by riding in conditions others won't though I'll complain the whole time and fight with the reasons in my head to turn around. This has been a change this year, and I have definitely been savoring the "winter" rides. I also do very well when racing in those conditions. There is probably a link there, but its probably mostly my lack of reasoning and little dimness on my part.

My best 20" powers so far this year have been by doing these rides outside in the wind, headed straight into it. I hate it as much as the next guy, but have seen the results by accepting those stressors and using it as additional workload. Yeah, it stinks, frickin' ABSOLUTELY STINKS.

Headed to Mexico late this month for a well deserve, vacation. Its going to fit in right as I maximize my base. Trying to come up with ways to address the conservation of my cycling fitness there knowing I can't take my bike and not sure what the resort workout facilities are. I know I will end up putting in a lot of open water swimming as my swimming has been coming around nicely in the pool and swimming in the ocean for an hour or more (3 miles or so) is so relaxing to me...rhythmic and hypnotyzing.

Hope all is well, stay safe!

No comments: